- 2 large Avocados scoop teaspoon-fulls into a mixing bowl; add155ml (1 cup 2 Tblsp) maple syrup
- 3 Tblsp agave nectar or honey
- 2 Tblsp coconut oil (melted)
- 2 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tsp balsamic vinegar (no joke)
- 1/2 Tsp soy sauce
- 1 cup good cocoa powder
Blend all the ingredients apart from the cocoa. Sift cocoa on top, stir in slowly (do avoid the cocoa ‘dusting’ everywhere), then blend in full. Makes 4 servings. Per serving: 514 cal, 18 g fat (4 g sat), 48 g carbs, 223 mg sodium, 10 g fiber, 44 g protein
- 4 dried ancho or other Mexican chili peppers
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ripe plantain (or an unripened banana), sliced
- 1 can tomatillos, about 8 to 10, drained and quartered
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup almonds or walnuts
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 oz dark chocolate or unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 oz each)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
To make mole sauce: Soak ancho chilies in warm water for 30 minutes. In a skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Cook onion until soft, about 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic, plantain, tomatillos, raisins, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, coriander, and oregano. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Take chilies out of the bowl, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the water, and remove seeds and stems. Place in a food processor or blender along with reserved water, tomatillo mixture, almonds, and sesame seeds. Blend until smooth. Return to skillet, stir in chocolate, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat until chocolate is completely melted.
To poach chicken, place in a pot large enough that breasts fit in one layer. Add enough water to cover chicken by an inch. Add thyme sprigs and salt to taste. Bring water to just under a simmer (no bubbles on surface), reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover, and cook for about 15 minutes, or until meat registers 160°F. Serve chicken with mole sauce and cilantro, if desired.
JICAMA BLACK BEAN SALAD WITH LIME CITRIX DRESSING
- 1 med. jicama, shredded
- 1 bunch radishes, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 c black beans, ringed and drained 1 orange sectioned
- 1/2 c. Cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 c fresh orange juice
- 1/2 c fresh lime juice
- 1 tbs honey or maple syrup
Mix all together, serve.
COCOA PANCAKES WITH BERRY MAPLE COMPOTE
- 1 very ripe banana, peeled
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ milk of choice
- ¼ cup low fat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour* or flour of choice
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup cocoa powder or ¼ cup carob powder
Mash the banana in a medium bowl using a fork. Whisk in the eggs, vanilla, yogurt and milk until the mixture is frothy and smooth.
Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder in a small bowl. Sift the dry ingredients into the banana milk mixture, whisking until just blended.
Prepare a griddle with a light layer of nonstick cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto the griddle. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until bubbles start to form. Flip and cook 1-2 minutes more, or until the pancake is cooked through. Repeat until you are out of batter.